Finding the right path
with non operative injury management
Ballarat Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine
Sports Medicine Physicians
Sports Medicine is a relatively new specialty group, with their own College of Sport and Exercise Medicine. Our Sport and Exercise Medicine Physicians are fellowship trained and to gain their fellowship have a physician exit exam and many years of experience.
Sport and Exercise Medicine Physicians conveniently fill a gap between General Practice, physiotherapy and the surgeons. While familiar with non-operative management of conditions, they are also up-to-date with what surgical managements can also be considered.
Sports Medicine is not solely about professional athletes. It is also about childhood & adolescent sporting injuries, recreational and middle-aged athletes. Just as importantly, they can help sort out those annoying issues that left untreated might eventually see the sufferer reduce their activity level – often to the detriment of the general health and their social activities.
Common conditions treated include:
- Painful tendons (‘tendinopathies’) such as tennis or golfer’s elbow, plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendon injuries.
- Joint sprains and injuries.
- Muscle strains or tears such as hamstrings, or bad ‘corkies’.
- Assessing and managing sports-related concussions.
- Identifying training errors, (over training, or the wrong training), to get athletes back on track.
Acute sporting injuries recover best when treated early: we always have urgent appointment spots available on Mondays and Tuesdays, both with our Sports doctors and our Sports Physiotherapist.
Treatment modalities we offer include: Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections for tendinopathies and early arthritis, Autologous Blood Injections (ABI) for tendinopathies, cortisone treatments through injection or iontophoresis (no needles!) and Extracorporeal Shockwave Treatment for plantar fasciitis and other painful tendons.
There are some conditions resistant to treatment, in which case your Sports Medicine Physician can arrange an early appointment with the most appropriate surgeon.
A proportion of their work may not be referred to us by a GP. In this case Medicare rebates are the same as General Practitioners, but if referred, higher rebates occur. You can discuss this with our staff when you book your appointment.
Sport Injury Treatments & Surgeries Available
- Biceps Rupture
- Tennis Elbow
- Golfer’s Elbow
- Clavicle Fracture
- Shoulder Dislocation
- Shoulder ACJ dislocation & injury
- Shoulder calcific tendonitis
- Shoulder Tendon Injury
- Hip Injuries
- Hamstring Tear
- Adolescent injuries around the hip
- Knee Injuries
- Patella Dislocation
- ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) Injury
- Achilles Rupture
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Ankle Sprains
- Ankle syndesmosis injury
- Plantar fasciitis
- Non operative management of childhood treatment of OCD (Osteochronditis Dissecans) lesions in knee