Mr David Mitchell
January 2021 Announcement
Many will be aware that Mr David Mitchell has been injured in a cycling accident. He would like us to relay his thanks to all who have enquired about his health, and sent their good wishes.
Please be reassured that we are expecting a full recovery, although it is too soon to say when he will be back at work.
In the meantime, however, the rest of our team are available to ensure continuity of care for his patients. All patients will be seen as required, and the team all have access to his clinical notes and plans to continue their treatment.
Should you have any urgent referrals, or require any advice, please contact our reception staff on 03 5332 2969.
MBBS (Melb), FRACS(Orth), FAOrthA , GAICD
David Mitchell has practiced in Ballarat since 2000 after undertaking the Charnley Australian Clinical Research Fellowship in Wrightington, United Kingdom, the home of the Charnley Hip Replacement. By 2003 he had identified a need for rapid recovery surgery, which initially improved the quality and speed of recovery after hip and knee replacement. These techniques have been added to other areas of his surgery such as osteotomies around the knee, and cruciate ligament reconstruction. He is a member of the Australian Knee Society.
In 2000, David was awarded the Charnley Clinical Research Fellowship, and worked under Mike Wroblewski at Wrightington Hospital in England. Wrightington is the spiritual home of hip replacement. David’s work there included revision hip replacement, and single stage revision hip arthroplasty for infection. Whilst the discipline & thinking processes remain the same, the mini posterior approach and even anterior approach to the hip for some patients are now used.
Areas of Practice
- Knee Surgery
- Knee Arthroscopy (including meniscal repairs)
- Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction
- Osteotomies for Knee Arthritis (Tibial and Femoral Osteotomies)
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Total Knee Replacement
- Hip Replacement
- Revision Hip Replacement
- Peri-prosthetic Infections
Accredited Surgeon at
- St John of God Hospital, Ballarat
- Ballarat Day Procedure Centre
- Ballarat Health Services
- Director of Orthopaedics, Ballarat Health Services
- Fellow of Royal Australasian College of Surgeon
- Fellow of Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Australian Knee Society
- Australian Medical Association
- Chairman, AOA Digital Imaging Committee
- Chairmen, BHS Medical Staff Group 2015-16
- Victorian Executive or AOA 2010-16